Guest AuthorsWrite a comment
- Published: Sunday, 20 January 2013 15:00
- Written by Free Burma Rangers
FBR Report: Burma Army attacks against Kachin continue despite ceasefire
18 January, 2013
Kachin State, Burma
At 5pm Friday, 18 January 2013, Burma Army airstrikes occurred near Lajayang and Laiza in Kachin State. On Friday evening, the Government of Burma announced a ceasefire to begin 6am Saturday. No further air attacks have been reported on Saturday, 19 January, but artillery attacks and other activities have continued:
- In the Mai Ja Yang area, the Burma Army has fired 105mm artillery and 120mm mortars on Kachin Independence Army (KIA) positions for most of the day.
- The Burma Army fired mortars near Lajayang between 10am and 2pm.
- Approximately 150 troops moved into the Lajayang area.
- Helicopters resupplied troops in the Lajayang area.
After initiating a new offensive in the Lajayang area near Laiza in December, the Burma Army has used airstrikes as well as artillery, hitting KIA targets and civilian areas. On Monday, 14 January 2013, three civilians were killed in Laiza by Burma Army 105mm artillery rounds that landed near the city center. In January, the Burma Army has also been launching artillery attacks and airstrikes near Mai Ja Yang. Fighting in Kachin State has continued since 9 June 2011, when a 17-year ceasefire was broken.
God bless you,
Kachin Free Burma Rangers