My Friday Op-Ed in The Wall Street Journal

Greetings,

I have just landed in El Paso after my latest long trip in Iraq. (This time it was only two months.)

The Wall Street Journal published my op-ed article regarding the Petraeus-Crocker testimony. [Please click to read it.]

I will be very busy with travel and meetings over next few weeks, but will continue to publish when possible. There are more than 800 unanswered emails in my inbox, so please forgive me on that front.

Signed copies of Moment of Truth in Iraq are nearly sold out. They can only be purchased on this site. Unsigned copies will hit bookstores on 23 April. Please buy a copy today. Your support is greatly appreciated, and absolutely essential.

V/r,

Michael
El Paso

Comments

0 # N. Webster 2008-04-11 05:33
Got the book...already read the book...great job, of course.

Silly question, but the signed copies are noted "Mosul, March 2008." How did that work? Did you sign the endpapers in Iraq and send them back to the US, or was that something you put with the sigs for curiosity value?

Looking forward to new updates.

0 # J. Mayfield 2008-04-11 06:17
Just got the Moment of Truth book.

Thank you for putting in such high quality photographs. I've seen them on your website, but the resolution is so much better in the book. this makes the images even more powerful.

Looking forward to reading the words.

0 # KCJDOG 2008-04-11 13:07
Another great article!! Still amazes me how fixated liberals are too losing instead of winning.

Received your book yesterday and plan on reading it this weekend.

Once again, thanks for all you do!!

0 # Doug Santo 2008-04-11 13:32
Your WSJ piece was good. Confronting our wishy-washy politicians with hard facts from first hand experience is vitally important. Op-Ed's like yours are as important as the work our brave men and women are doing on the front lines. While our military wins the fight in Iraq, we can still lose it here at home. With the coming elections, this is the right time to speak out.

We can win in Iraq, we will win in Iraq, if we can bolster our weak kneed politicians here at home. Keep speaking out. You have an important voice. Your opinions, formed from hard experience, can sway voters and politicians.

Doug Santo
Pasadena, CA

0 # dubya 2008-04-11 14:26
Great piece, Michael.

Thank you.

0 # Brian S. 2008-04-11 14:28
just an FYI - I got your postcard and requested the book at the college library where I teach. I just received an email from the person who purchases the books informing me that they have ordered it.

Keep on "keeping on"

0 # dubya 2008-04-11 14:50
The two copies of "Moment of Truth" I have simply have an undated signature... which were obviously more hurried than the signature on the copy of "Strength and Compassion" I also have.

0 # Aaron 2008-04-11 14:55
Great article! Looking forward to the book!

0 # Jon Jewett 2008-04-11 14:58
All,
This is an email that I sent to all of my friends. I believe that work by people like Michael Yon is important and should be supported. Regards, Jon
***********

I try to keep informed on issues so that I can make intelligent decisions when I vote. Unfortunately, most of the common sources are from people with agendas beyond reporting facts. This is particularly true about the war in Iraq.

Trivia question: Who made regime change in Iraq an objective of the United States foreign policy???

If you know, I am impressed. Please ƒ??Googleƒ? the question to find the answer if you donƒ??t. I suspect that seven of ten people in these United States would think I was lying if I gave it here. If you are surprised by the answer, then perhaps you should ask yourself why your sources have failed to keep you informed of such basic things.

I have found a source of reporting on the war that I have come to trust:

I encourage you to check his web site. I feel his reporting is of real value to me. If you feel the same, please consider supporting him. he is oth free-lance and needs your help.

0 # dubya 2008-04-11 15:02
My previous comment should have been directed to Webster, not Mayfield. Sorry.

0 # dubya 2008-04-11 15:21
Jon, if your intent was to focus attention on the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, you should have suggested a more narrow Goggle search. :-)

0 # Tracy Early 2008-04-11 17:10

I just read your WSJ op-ed. As with your dispatches, it's written with sincerity, eloquence and most important, credibility. Your unique perspective of having been there throughout so much of the war adds weight to your words.

Hope you're enjoying being back on American soil. I've received "Moment of Truth..." and am looking forward to sitting down and at least starting it this weekend (coursework demands have been heavy of late, but it says something that I've been saving your read for my "reward" time, LOL...).

As ever, Peace.

-Tracy
Shoreline, WA

0 # John M. Strongosky 2008-04-11 17:25
Keep telling the truth....

Got your book its a good read.

v/r
tiny
Fair winds and Followiing Seas.

0 # David Diekmann 2008-04-11 22:33
Rec'd my copy of the book two days ago, about halfway through it already, excellent read! My wife is already tired of my exclamations...

I work for The Journal so imagine the joy I experienced when I opened the paper this morning and saw your name on our Op-ed page. Send me an email address that can take a 10mb file and I'll send you a hi-res pdf (eTearsheet we call it) of the page for you to frame.

Keep up the great work.
Regards,
David

0 # Azygos 2008-04-12 00:23
Thank you Michael. Got the book Tuesday and finished it Wednesday. Excellent as just about everything you write is a must read.

0 # Brian Hall 2008-04-12 09:41
That op-ed was brilliant. It's not much that readers here don't already know, but considering the audience for whom you wrote, those comments and observations and conclusions should strike like a thunderbolt. Or several. It deserves to be picked up throughout the country, for sure.

0 # Ruth Chapel 2008-04-12 15:16
Great article Michael, and your voice is sooooo needed. Hope everyone reads it and listens to your words, understands them and to Quote you "The U.S. military is the most respected institution in Iraq, and many Iraqi boys dream of becoming American soldiers. Yes, young Iraqi boys know about "GoArmy.com." Wonder why the nightly media gets it so wrong, to hear them we are enemy number one over there.
....And further more YOU and some of us get it, this is the most pertinent statement out there what is wrong with people....... you don't pull the foundation out from under a being constructed building you finish the job. More we actually need more not less to finish the job rightly.

Here is your wuote some more: "This leads us to the most out-of-date aspect of the Senate debate: the argument about the pace of troop withdrawals. Precisely because we have made so much political progress in the past year, rather than talking about force reduction, Congress should be figuring ways and means to increase troop levels. For all our successes, we still do not have enough troops. This makes the fight longer and more lethal for the troops who are fighting. To give one example, I just returned this week from Nineveh province, where I have spent probably eight months between 2005 to 2008, and it is clear that we remain stretched very thin from the Syrian border and through Mosul. Vast swaths of Nineveh are patrolled mostly by occasional overflights."

Thanks Michael again ......Thanks!

0 # Barry 2008-04-12 21:33
Just ordered the book from Amazon. I can't wait to read it. I'm one person who was profoundly influenced by your reporting from Iraq, and want you to know that it is a great public service that has not been in vain. Please keep up the good work, and god speed.

0 # Larry Reagan 2008-04-13 03:57
Ordered two books. Looking forward to them.

WSJ article was great. I posted it to my blog. http://www.mychurch.org/blog/169228/Thank-you-Michael-Yon-All-Veterans-take-note

Thank you for all you do.

0 # Richard McConchie 2008-04-14 09:35
One for me, one for a gift. Thanks Michael.

0 # Lou 2008-04-15 18:24
Wow, I hope you don't have to spend two months in El Paso; that could be as bad as Iraq.

0 # David Potter 2008-04-16 14:50
I have kept up with you somewhat after hearing about your experience with longtime friend (45 plus years) CSM James Pippin. I am so glad you got to meet an American Warrior who believes in what we are doing. He is a Hero to many of us and I know you have met many more in your travels. You are lucky in that way.

Thanks for doing your time and I will be ordering the signed version.

Keep up the good work.

David Potter

0 # Lisa Lyles 2008-04-22 19:26
Hey I believe that the Op-Ed was a really good idea. With all that traveling back and forth you must be tired, I bet. No matter what remember you can do it. We can and will get out of the war safe and peaceful. Keep a positive attitude and everything will be alright.

0 # Matt 2008-04-26 05:36
Thanks for being such an outstanding source of news and opinion about the war. Semper Fi.

0 # Jackie Cady 2008-05-06 05:37
All I wanted was the truth about things in Iraq. I finished your book in two nights. It will influence my vote. I have to say I cried a dozen times, knowing the reality of all this. I say we started it, and we need to finish it. I don't like to demonize people, but why do they cut back the troops? Don't they know the meaning of insurgent? Or counter-insurge nt? I am angry at the candidates now, and i want them to give these men what they need. You have truelly moved me in my heart, and I hope you will visit my website someday, and be a guest author. It would be such an honor, sir.
I am so thankful for you and all these heroes in Iraq,
Jacqueline Cady

0 # karla jean ducayet 2008-06-12 03:38
I have been reading your dispatches for sometime now and just received "moment of truth". Got it, read it and gotta get more. I did order the "Townhall" and plan on passing it on as well as your book to friends and family who think the war is a waste. I also have printed your flyers to distribute at local book stores and libraries. I can not tell you how moved I have been from reading everything you write. To try and explain the success in Iraq to people, it is just crazy how they refuse to believe. Then I turn them on to your website.
Sincerely, Karla Jean Ducayet

Reader support is crucial to this mission. Weekly or monthly recurring ‘subscription’ based support is the best, though all are greatly appreciated.  Recurring and one-time donations are available through PayPal or Authorize.net.