Deuce Four: B. General Erik Kurilla makes an Amazing Speech

06 January 2016

image001

Erik is the finest combat leader I ever went to combat with. Spent five months with him. Before I got there to the unit in Mosul, Erik had already been knocked out by a car bomb and all sorts of other things, but was still doing missions literally 7 days per week, as the battalion commander.

The enemy hated Erik so much that they put a bounty on him. The enemy hated Deuce Four. I loved them. They were incredibly aggressive and so there was constant contact with the enemy.

The bounty did not work. Erik and the Deuce Four battalion were killing enemy practically daily, and they themselves took 183 casualties.

One day Erik got shot in front of me, hit three times, badly, but he continued to fire at the enemy and give orders. Erik was the last casualty of the battalion.

image003Erik had just been shot three times. A femur was snapped in two but he kept fighting and giving orders

Before it was over, Bruce Willis wanted to do a movie about Erik and the Deuce Four, and asked me to write a book, but long story short I stayed in the wars.

image005CSM Robb Prosser shot and fought hand-to-hand the terrorist who shot Erik. Needless to say, Robb won.

Today I am honored to have such friends, and to know that such people serve in our military still.

image007Deuce Four Recon Platoon: Some of the baddest men on the block. They loved to fight. This day they took me to the range in Mosul. The snipers were practicing to fire simultaneously to take out several targets at once.

You must see Erik’s inspirational speech:

If you are unable to view the above video Click Here.

And photos of Erik and the Deuce Four in combat when Erik got shot the second time (hit three times and still fighting):

image009

And comments from the incredible Deuce Four Soldiers who were there:

image011

Comments

# Prosser,Kurillaken 2016-01-06 18:22
Remember it was like yesterday. I followed all your post with the 2/4. Any information where the Sergeant Major may be these days? Quite the guy as well. Congrats to Erik and his promotion.

# RE: Prosser,KurillaCat 2016-01-10 02:19
Prosser retired I think.

# RE: Prosser,KurillaKP 2016-05-24 05:15
CSM Prosser is retired and still lives in WA state.
I see him about once a week at LA Fitness working out.

# Good to see he became a General.Dan Engels 2016-01-06 18:30
Thanks for video. Good to see he became a General.
The story is from 2005. Time flies. Can still remember following your Dispatches back then.

Thanks

# I rememberPhyllis Pajka 2016-01-06 19:49
I remember when you wrote about him getting shot. It was a great story and it is wonderful to see he is looking no worse for the wear. You did such a wonderful job of covering the action there and I still have every one of you emails about it. You're just the best writer there is Michael.

# Inspiring!Leyla 2016-01-06 21:16
what a wonderful speech and great guy! Makes me proud and blessed to be an American! May we never forget those who protect us and keep us free!!

# RE: Deuce Four: B. General Erik Kurilla makes an Amazing SpeechKelly Calhoun 2016-01-06 21:26
How well I remember this happening. What character.
I had so many items to send to 3/7 Cav but since they
Had enough you suggested to send to These brave Soldiers. Michael you were so brave and courageous.

# RE: Deuce Four: B. General Erik Kurilla makes an Amazing SpeechChris Melton 2016-01-07 05:17
Awesome tribute to his fellow warriors. We are fortunate as a nation to have patriots such as Gen. Kurilla serving our country.

# RE: Deuce Four: B. General Erik Kurilla makes an Amazing SpeechRic Walters 2016-01-07 17:05
Amazing doesn't describe it. No wonder he's so beloved by his troops. HOOYAH, General Kurilla!

# Deuce FourLarryO 2016-01-07 21:04
Thank you Michael for your continued support of our service people and providing an unbiased report we can all relate to. There are many reasons these days to be somewhat disappointed in how our present administration is tackling the terror problem but folks like General Kurilla bring renewed faith for our country and more importantly, to our service members who take the brunt.

# Thank you!Don 2016-01-08 00:20
Thank you Gen. Kurilla (for so much) and Michael for sharing this story!

# congratulationsbob simons 2016-04-10 15:36
Congratulations to the Ultimate Warrior, a warrior our nation can be very proud of and a cadet and Lt I do as a lieutenant in Korea congratulations Erik!

# RE: Deuce Four: B. General Erik Kurilla makes an Amazing SpeechVanessa Nocella 2016-01-09 22:22
We owe so much
God Willing God Speed that those that protect us be kept as safe as possible from bodily harm and may we know peace soon so that Hashem may come and dwell openly with us so that our warriors will be with their loved ones enjoying life instead of protecting us from harm so that we may enjoy our life

# haysua nha dep 2016-04-10 07:59
A six-year-old boy walked up to his father one day and announced, “Daddy, I'd like to get married.”
His father replied hesitantly, "Sure, son, do you have anyone special in mind?"
“Yes,” answered the boy. “I want to marry Grandma.”
“Now, wait a minute,” said his father. “You don't think I'd let you get married with my mother, do you?”
“Why not?” the boy asked. “You married mine.”
==== have fun!
sua nha dep| dich vu sua nha| dich vu sua nha ha noi| tran thach cao| tran thach cao dep| am dao gia | am dao gia nhu that | am dao gia cao cap | am dao gia gia re nhat | am dao gia tu dong| bup be tinh duc

# Former Sgt. With B co 1-24 infVerdie goodner 2016-05-03 05:01
This is a long shot I know but what would it take to make contact with General kurilla. I am know a firefight paramedic serving the community I live in and seek advice on leadership. I am no one just a small part of something bigger than myself. Yet I find my self in a portion of some influence to do good and I often draw from my time I servered under then Lt Col Kurilla in Mosul Iraq. I have yet to experience the type of leadership that was represented under his command. As I said I am just a small piece of such a much bigger picture. I humbly ask for any opportunity to seek advice and possible correspondence with General kurilla on his concepts of leadership at many levels. Godspeed to all those who serve and sacrifice daily do I may enjoy the privileges of freedom

Verdie Goodner.
Former deuce four member

# FBCat 2016-05-03 09:57
I believe he's on Fb

# MDDAVID FOSTER LA ROCH 2016-06-21 17:27
Great patriot. Obama's watch created more American casualties than G. W. Bush's by creating more difficult rules of engagement requiring even attorney consults over the radio call net.

# Deuce Four: B. General Erik Kurilla makes an Amazing SpeechCharissa 2017-11-22 09:35
I have noticed you don't monetize your page, don't waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month because you've got hi quality content.
If you want to know how to make extra money, search for: Boorfe's tips best adsense alternative

Here is my homepage :: FirstLester: https://09Rich.blogspot.com

# It was an honorCarlos Amaya 2018-05-19 21:56
Truly it was an honored to have taken care of all all the soldiers, marines, airmen and local nationals. The 228th CSH deployed to Mosul in support of all these heroes. I remembered GEN Kurilla arriving to my trauma bay simply asking how everyone else was doing, disregarding his lower extremities injuries. Thank you DOUCE FOUR for all your sacrifices.

Carlos Amaya CRNA